Before It Was the Lexington Leader

Lexington Enterprise

The Lexington Enterprise newspaper was founded in 1903 by H.F. Schlosshan. The newspaper, changed hands and was later sold in 1920. It ceased operation in 1928. The paper changed hands a few times thereafter, and eventually moved to the present day location of the Lexington Leader.

Before it became the Lexington Leader, the Woodman Building was built on this site by historian Stanley Miller's father, B.A. Miller. It was a cafe' and lodge building. Eventually, the Lexington Enterprise moved in.

From historian Stanley Miller:
Robert Connor bought The Enterprise from Mr. Schlosshan in 1908. When Robert Connor entered A&M College in about 1910, he turned the paper over to his younger brother, Rivers.

In 1916 the Rockdale Reporter said that during the fire that destroyed the west side of the Lexington Square, Rivers Connor, thought the building The Enterprise was in was going to catch on fire, so he threw all of his type into the street to keep it from being destroyed. Fortunately, that building did not catch fire, but Rivers Connor was forced to seek help in Rockdale from the Reporter's editor in getting his next issue out.

Schlosshan was married to Dora Hester, one of the Hester sisters, whose mother’s store was in a building across the street and just north of the section that burned 1916. This suggests to me that The Enterprise’s office was either in the Hester store building or just across the street where the current Masonic Lodge is located on the west side of the Square in Lexington. The newspaper reports of the fire say it started in the Hahn Saloon and proceeded south along that section of the Square.

Nancy's Connection

When the Lexington Leader began publishing the local news, Nancy would frequently phone-in to the publishers, Rita & Rainey Owen to share her tidbits. She was often instrumental in sourcing stories. When the paper was taken over by Cindy Terrell within the past few years, "Nosey Nancy" would call-in and make sure the paper had the latest news she'd just heard.

The wife of the Lexington Enterprise's first publisher, Dora Hester Schlosshan, was a sister of Bismark Hester. Bismark married Lillian Nora "Lillie" Perry. Lillie Perry was Samuel S. Perry's daughter, connecting Nancy to the family by her marriage to Alph E. Perry.

When Nancy's grandson, Sam Perry, began working at STW Engineering located in the top floor of the Lexington Leader building, she was thrilled. Corner office, city view, downtown!

Bismark Hester & Lillie Perry

Photo: Lee County Texas

Nancy Hamilton

Lexington Leader


Cindy Terrell
Visit their Website

Sam Works Here!

STW Engineering Proprietor

Travis Weiser

Continue your stroll. Visit the Heritage Center & Lexington Log Cabins: